Sunday, November 14, 2010

Eid, or let the slaughtering begin.



Last year I was totally unprepared for what went on over Eid. We were staying in a hotel in the middle of the city and there were goats and sheep tied up to lamp posts everywhere when we went out early in the morning. By mid morning when we returned to the hotel it was a blood bath. We drove to Dubai via then new Yas Island freeway which unfortunately takes you past the slaughter house. There were people pushing goats and sheep everywhere! We stopped at a set of traffic lights and Bert said oh look at that, as I looked a man picked the goats head up and slit its throat, right there beside me trapped in the car behind a red light. It was hideous.

This year I am determined to avoid the bloodshed. I have tried not to look at the sheep and goats being transported along the freeway in trucks. I'm pretending they are being moved from the sand to a nice green pasture somewhere.

I was relieved to see this sign at a round about near where we live. There were lots of other signs in Arabic but I found this one in English. I hope the sheep are as relieved as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment