Monday, November 21, 2011

Emirati women

Yesterday I went to the diabetic clinic .  It is really where I have the most interactions with Emiratis, as I am often the only westerner there.  I am always very impressed by the high standard of care, from the lady at the front door who greets me by name, even though I only go there every second month, to the security guard who stops the traffic for me to cross the road rather than me wait for someone to actually stop at the crossing.

It is one of the most asked question from friends and family at home, are you ever uncomfortable because of dress standards.  The answer is never.  I am a reasonably conservative dresser even at home so it takes very little adjustment to fit in here.

At the clinic I had to go to womens section to get a B12 injection and there were perhaps 20 women in the waiting room.  Generally I find Emirati women very friendly, they always smile and nod from behind their veils and masks to acknowledge you, something that rarely happens if you enter a room full of western women.  I sat down, looked around and realised every single woman in the room was dressed in black, and I was wearing a bright pink shirt.  I felt like a canary and made a mental note  to next time I come to tone down the colour scheme a little

No comments:

Post a Comment